He is 6ft tall, broad and a humble cricketer who is all but 18yrs old. He falls into the list of big burly all-rounders who can slog the ball while also be more than a handy bowler to have in the side. 18 yr old Satyak Patel who started playing Cricket at the age of 11 by now has played in various formats across various teams. Even though he is just 18yrs old, he has already been a player of the Mumbai U-14 and the U-16 teams while his talent was also spotted abroad where he has played county cricket representing Indian Gymkhana and Northwood Cricket Club. What’s more he was also in the auction list of Mumbai Premier League 2018 and had he made it to any of the teams, he could have been the youngest player playing in the Mumbai T20 Premier League 2018.
Even though Satyak is just 18yrs old, but he has already played a lot of cricket and has gained experience by playing in various tournaments across various teams at different levels. Satyak who is a wily left arm spinner has delivered whenever his team needed a crucial contribution from him. Satyak has consistently performed with the ball taking 7wkt hauls and even a 9wkt haul once which is a record. Though he gets to bat less in Mumbai but he has proved with the bat too whenever he has been given the opportunities and if his statistics abroad are anything to go by, he can be one potential all-rounder in the years to come. Add to it, his big body frame and fitness which makes him a very powerful hitter of the ball.
Being a cricket focused website, we did kept a track on Satyak’s growth as a player and from what we can see if given the right opportunities as an all-rounder at the right time and at the right place. This young fellow can be a very fruitful investment as he is not only a genuine wicket taker but also bats really well making him a ‘in-demand utility player’ Satyak who gets to bat at the lower order in Mumbai cricket has also showed many a times that if given the right opportunities to bat a bit higher he can be potent with the bat too! His 144 & 4wkts in the semis of U/14 Summer Camp Tournament or his 62 along with a 6wkt haul vs Baroda in the U/16 state match are some of his silent testimonies.
We had a chance encounter with Satyak practicing and we interviewed him on many questions and he looked really positive. Here are some of the Questions Satyak answered to Cricketwale.com
What’s the name of your coach?
Actually I am fortunate to get trained under not one but many hard working coaches like Ravi Kulkarni sir, Nilesh Bhosale sir, Amol Ghag sir, Jalal Sheikh Sir, Javed Khan sir, Satish Samant sir. All the coaches have contributed to my game in different capacities!
Name of the teams Satyak you have played so far in Mumbai Cricket?
Mumbai-U (16) [twice), Ghatkopar Jolly Gymkhana, Dilip Vengsarkar academy, Chandrakant Cricket academy, Rizvi College & University), Hansraj, Morarji Public school.
Have you represented teams at International level?
Yes I have played county cricket representing Indian Gymkhana Cricket Club London (Middlesex county cricket league), Northwood Cricket club (Hertfordshire county cricket league). I was spotted on the basis of my records and perfomance here in mumbai!
Whom do you dedicate your cricketing journey to?
Definitely it has to be my father who has played a big role in supporting me financially as well as emotionally backing me up all the time.
What’s your favorite delivery or your weapon in distress during a match while bowling?
My best delivery has to be the arm ball while I am also working on chinaman!
Satyak’s Statistics in Mumbai since 2014- (Includes all the professional matches representing Mumbai as well as College level teams)
Note-Satyak did not play Mumbai Cricket for almost a year due to injury in 2017.
- 5wkt hauls-9
- Bowling Average-20.53
- Best Bowling Figures- 9/27
- Satyak’s Record Abroad in the County Cricket (Includes combine record of both the teams he has played for- Northwood & Indian Gymkhana)
- Batting Average-39.05
- Wkts-49wkts in 19innings
Some of the notable highlights of his Career so far-
- – Was the best bowler in CPCC cup u-14 with taking 18 wickets in 3 matches
- – Was the best bowler in Bombay Gymkhana
- – Captain of the Goregaon centre and won the finals) (was also man of the match in 4 out of 5
- matches and was man of the series in the tournament) (Scored 144 & took 4wkts in the Semi Finals l
- leading from the front as a skipper and in the 1st match took 9/27 which are still one of the best
- bowling figures in this tournament.
- – Highest wicket-taker from Mumbai team in the 2014-15 season in the Vijay Hazare Trophy
- – Was the highest wicket taker in Ghosh Trophy taking 32wkts in 5matches while also scored a crucial
- 89 in the semi-finals
- – Took 25wkts in 5 Harris Shield Matches while was the best bowler in the DSO and Inter College
- -Was the 2nd highest wicket taker in the Mumbai U/19 tournament in 2017/18 bagging 27wkts in 4matches.
- -Was the highest wicket taker in the U/19 KC Mahindra Shield Tournament in 2017/18 taking 14wkts in 2matches.
All Statistics last updated in 2018